Table of Contents
Why I Choose Garmin for GPS?
I choose Garmin GPS because for me this brand already familiar and I get lifetime update for the map. In the UK and maybe another European country Tomtom widely uses among other brands.
Recently I bought a Garmin Nuvi 42LM GPS (LM indicate Lifetime Map) from the local online store. The purpose is to help the office’s driver to drive easier and more efficient especially when going to Jakarta. The GPS I bought came with: GPS unit, Vehicle suction cup mount ( to be affixed to the car’s the front window), manual operation, leather case, cigarette lighter adaptor, USB cable to connect to PC.
Garmin Nuvi 42LM out from the box
What you will find in the box of Garmin 42LM
GPS’s User Interface
3.0 km & left arrow icon tell you to drive 3 km and turn left to Jalan Tol Padalarang-Cileunyi
The first button is to return to the previous menu, 200m represents the scale on the map, if we zoom in or out, this number adjust automatically. 5:53PM is estimation time arrival with current speed, Jalan Raya Rancaekek is our current location, the current speed is 7.5KM/H and the maximum recommended speed is 60KM 🙂
We can zoom in and zoom out the map by pressing plus or minus button. If we don’t follow GPS direction she will re-calculate direction and suggest us another way to reach our destination.
My experience using Nuvi 42LM:
To input address for destination is quite difficult for me, I have to exactly know the address, for example: To input address in Kuningan Jakarta, I have to choose the province first and I have to input D and then GPS showing DKI Jakarta as an option, if I only input J or Jakarta it will showing nothing to choose. After that I have to choose Jakarta selatan as a city, from there I can display the street I want to go. We have to search the first letter of destination if Garmin can show anything I input in the middle of words/letter that will be perfect for users.
The easiest way for me is to save the current location to GPS for future reference. if I going somewhere I can save the location very easy by clicking the car icon on the map, then we can press the save button, and the place/location saved on favorite. I can delete and manage favorite easily, and always keep only important places on favorite and get rid of unused places like Garmin USA or Garmin Europe. I am sure more practice will make me proficient to use this amazing GPS unit.
How to Update Maps on Garmin Nuvi 42lm?
The information about updating software or map on Garmin Nuvi 42LM is on the last page of manual book,on my GPS to update map is http://id.garmin.com/mapupdate
Backup all files on GPS about 503MB and save to a folder in your computer.
Download file launcher.exe onto the computer
Run the file:
garmin updater ver 4.42
garmin updater detect device
garmin updater checking updates
If you found error as above, please follow below steps
1. Download from the following link:
2. Open a download software or web browser and paste the link to start download.
3. Save the downloaded .zip file to C:GarminGarmin Updater.
Make sure the downloaded file is saved in the correct path, or the update process may not be completed.
4. Restart the Launcher software. Map update will resume.
5. Contact your local dealer if you cannot update map with this method.
I succeed using step above:
Use the following link, my differ with your GPS version, refer to you manual book.
I also found the following steps to update software:
1. You have to download Garmin Express software. from http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html or from https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3y9rpj5iyu3tdi/GarminExpressInstaller.exe?dl=0 ( 39MB, I copy this to my dropbox about)
2. Setup Garmin Express software on your computer.
3. You have to add GPS onto the software first by connecting via USB cable. On my first attempt the software stop at collecting device information screen and never finish. I pressed the power button about 15 seconds and the GPS restart, this time she recognizes the GPS device model along with the serial number. To update the software is easy after this stage, just click install button (if software update available).
when the update finish you have up to date software/map on your GPS.
Note: I did arrive safely to destination’s address in Jakarta by following GPS direction, however, do not believe GPS 100%, use your senses, GPS sometimes give the wrong direction to one way road when the map is not up to date. Always update your map version to avoid unwanted result. Drive safely.
Garmin Nuvi 42lm Price on Amazon
When I write this post the price is USD 93.35 with lifetime maps (US). Lifetime maps US and Canada USD 129.99