Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241 review – This Toshiba laptop is an excellent choice for me in terms of price and features. I works long hours with computers so I want to make sure that the laptop I use has a good speed, endurance, and flexibility to connect with my other devices. I work mainly with spreadsheet, email, internet, occasionally playing a game and watching videos. Below is my Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241 review presented to you as a reference so you can decide whether to buy this product or not.
Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241 is match with my needs it’s also has a great price for my pocket, with less than $500 I already have following features:
- Core i5 5200u 2.2 GHz processor with low voltage version, means less heat and less power to consume (battery life longer). With the price constraint I am happy with i5, actually I have dreamed about i7 processor but not this time for the same reason (money problem).
Windows 10 Home Edition
- Windows 10 Home edition (It is better than Win 8.1 in my opinion), don’t expect to get Ms. Office, you will need to buy it separately. You can download Microsoft Office in trial mode and pay monthly after one month or you can cancel it’s up to you.
8 GB Memory
- 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM (2x4GB) and expandable to 16 GB (not official) is more than enough for me, at the moment I have no plan to expand it to 16 GB. Actually Toshiba says that the system max memory is 8GB and take no responsibility if something wrong happen if we replace the memory. However someone reported that it can be replaced by 2x 8GB memory using G. Skill Ripjaws series laptop memory DDR3 SO-DIMM 1.35v dual channel. But if you take to Toshiba for repair you should restore to original hardware configuration.
- 1 TB HD – I can store many document and videos and still have plenty room for others. However I don’t really like this because I prefer to have solid state disk (SSD), SSD will significantly improve boot performance and any other extensive disk access process, such as database. Beside faster SSD is more proof to bump because no mechanical movement inside disk, all in electronic speed mode. The downside is price, still higher than SATA disk with the same capacity.
If you have more money you can just replace this hard disk to SSD easily, you might need someone savvy in computer to do this.
- Toshiba 15.6 laptop- Mobile Intel HD graphics 5500 (512MB) with screen 15.6-inch widescreen HD (1366 x768) give me spacious workspace for my spreadsheet. This graphic chipset also can be used to play many games.
2 port of USB 2.0 and 1 port of USB 3.0 to support interfacing with other devices, such as external hard disk, camera, smartphone, printer and much more.
SD card slot, Ethernet port, WIFI, Bluetooth, webcam
- SD card slot, Ethernet port, WIFI, Bluetooth, webcam are standard with this laptop. It means you can use video conference software without extra accessories, however if you make a video conference in crowded place you will need a headset to suppress noise. It has a HDMI external port replacing VGA port, this is perfect as now LCD and LED monitor has HDMI port for better quality details and high-resolution. If you still need VGA port, you have to buy HDMI to VGA converter port.
- DVD-Super Multi, cannot play blu-ray disc . I don’t really use DVD drive often. According to my experience DVD drive will eventually brake even if we never use it. It’s maybe because every time we power up laptop the drive will spinning trying to detect whether it has disc in it and it always like that. I personally prefer to have external USB DVD drive.
- 4.85 pounds weight, fit perfectly on my bag, although bit heavy for me, I forgive this because I love other features that come with this laptop.
Longer Battery Life
- With normal usage, the battery will last about 5 hours, expect less (about 3 hours) when you are watch movie or playing games. Overall this is medium class laptop with affordable price and good features. OK I hope you will get more informed about Toshiba Satellite and this wrap up my Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241 review.
Good news for you who need accessing number key frequently from laptop this satellite c55-5241 has keypad at the right side of keyboard. For me not help much, instead Toshiba reducing spacebar size and arrow key that need adjustment when you used to be using longer spacebar key.
Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241 from Toshiba website: http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/C50/C55-C5241
HDMI port advantage:
HDD vs SSD difference: