Although you might already have a special program from your VPN vendor sometimes you want to use manual setup because you might be restricted by system and cannot add any program to your computer like mine here or for any other reason.
Below is steps to configure manual VPN client using build in windows 7 facility:
- Open Network and Sharing Center and click Connect to a network
2. Double click Connect to a workplace. Set up a dial-up or VPN connection to your workplace.
3. On Connect to a Workplace windows choose No, create a new connection and click Next
4. On How do you want to connect? Choose Use my Internet connection (VPN)
5. Internet address, you can fill this with ip address or hostname that you got from your VPN provider or administrator. In my case I got this from unlimited VPN, but they don’t give guidance to setup on any device, that is why I create this posting. Choose Don’t connect now; just set it up so I can connect later.
6. Type username and password, you also got this from VPN provider or your administrator.
7. After this connection created, go back to Network connections window. Highlight connection that you just made, right click and choose properties.
8. On the properties, click Security Tab and choose Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPSec (L2TP/IP Sec)
9. On advanced properties window > Use preshared key for authentication, enter the key you got from your VPN provider.
10. Test your connection
When configured correctly you should see that your IP now change according to VPN location you have choose, in my case Australia. I checked with www.ipaddresslocation.org to make sure it’s working OK.
Before connected to VPN:
We are using websense for web filtering system with IP address 188.8.131.52 (location Singapore) and our actual IP address is 184.108.40.206 (location Jakarta). Other IP to location provider usually only detect last IP address which is websense IP address but ipaddresslocation.org can detect the real IP address behind websense and this is good.
After connected to VPN:
After connect to Australian VPN, ipaddresslocation reporting 220.127.116.11 (Singapore) and the real IP address is 18.104.22.168 (Sydney-Autralia). Other IP to location services might only reporting 22.214.171.124 as your IP Address.
If this is enough for you than fine, go use this. But if you still want to get rid of websense IP address you may need to configure SSH tunnel which you can find here.